Primary Purpose of Role:
To proactively manage the southern locations (Purfleet, Erith & Bridgwater) working in tandem with the Drivers, Planning team, Fleet Admin and Operations Manager to ensure that we deliver an efficient, safe and compliant operation.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
Ensure that all operating licence undertakings are adhered to for drivers and management.
Champion Health and Safety in all aspects of the operation.
Align with ADM to maintain product integrity and SOP’s.
Lead, develop and inspire the team to deliver operational and customer service excellence.
Provide a service to the customer that meets the targets of the business.
Ensure effective communication processes are established and maintained for both external/internal customers
Ensure the team is adequately trained and has on-going development opportunities.
Inspire commitment to the company, our services and future success.
Utilise the current systems to manage operational KPI’s such as Tachograph infringements, WTD and driver behaviour through Microlise.
Be involved in any projects that improve the contract and support the business strategy.
Ensure drivers are de-briefed daily and any actions are dealt with in a timely manner and the information is relayed back to the individual and the Transport Operations Manager.
Ensure that holidays, absences and company policies are adhered to on a daily basis.
Manage the drivers through agreed KPI’s and demonstrate improvements against agreed targets.
To provide timely statistical reports to the senior management team and customer using available management information systems
To monitor and ensure equipment is compliant with all current Road Safety legislation & ALG policy
Ensure daily vehicle checks are completed and complete random spot checks.
Producing transport compliance reports and driving improvements.
Consistently strive to improve contract transport performance and suggest ways to do this with minimum impact to costs and the operation
Requirement to cover other operating sites as necessary either physically or remotely and/or deputise for management
Conduct investigations into driver behaviour and vehicle incidents escalating as and when required.
Completing and maintaining relevant records and documentation
Maintain systems and manage EU Drivers Hours and Working Time Directive compliance
Recruit and retain drivers.
Named Transport Manager on the O Licence.
Ensure that all equipment is maintained in line with the business O licence under takings
Escalate any maintenance concerns to the Head of Fleet and the Transport Operations Manager.
Develop and foster open and honest relationships with stakeholders
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
These are considered essential for all aspects of the job to be carried out thoroughly well together with an indication of other desirable factors if appropriate.
* Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills
* Ability to persuade and influence colleagues at all levels.
* Able to work autonomously yet able to collaborate with a wider team.
* Excellent IT skills (Excel, Word and Outlook) with the ability to learn new systems.
* Commercial awareness – Ability to understand the overall business strategy and translate into long term plans.
* Leadership – Motivate and encourage people to work and learn together, taking people with you through change and improvement.
* Result Drive – Vision to see and understand the required results and act to achieve them.
* Creative Problem Solving – Ability to generate new ideas to overcome problems and generate solutions.
* Engaging and Influential Communications – Communicate at all levels and influence where appropriate.
* Compliance – Take ownership of the O Licence requirements ensuring that the operation is legally compliant at all times and records are maintained.
* Driver Productivity – Ensure efficiencies are met and improvements are driven into the operation using Microlise and other management tools.
* HR – Support Transport Operations Manager to manage the driver population absence, DP and investigations.
Understanding of how a supply chain operates
The ability to take ownership of issues & work
Minimum 5 years in a Transport Manager role in a multi-location HGV environment
* Thorough and detailed understanding of vehicle compliance and O Licence requirements
* Transport Manager experience of a large fleet
* Good general proactive communicator
* Financial awareness
* Budget management and cost controls
* Bulk tanker experience
* Understanding of a telematics system and the benefits.
* A good standard of formal education
* International & UK CPC holder – Essential
* HACCP – Desirable
* IOSH – Desirable
* Full Clean driving Licence – Essential