Are you an enthusiastic, time-served commercial vehicle engineer/manager with a passion for learning and developing new skills in both you and those around you? If so, here is your chance to use your technical knowledge and managerial skills in a broader Fleet Engineer role that is both office and workshop-orientated, while also developing new skills and knowledge in alternative fuels, including BEVs. Based at Beenham, near Reading , but spending a great deal of your time out and about in the business providing support and leadership for Grundon's six vehicle workshops (in Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire and Bristol), you will join us on a permanent full-time contract and earn a competitive salary with a host of great benefits , including:
- Company car
- Private healthcare
- Discretionary bonus (performance based)
- Pension scheme (you contribute 5% of pay, Grundon matches this) with life assurance cover
- Option to buy additional holiday
About our Fleet and Workshops
Behind every Grundon waste collection vehicle is a fully committed team including Operations, Fleet and Workshops. Along with preparing new vehicles for release into service, our workshops also look after all Grundon commercial fleet issues, including correcting daily defects, service maintenance and MOT - all in place to ensure compliancy for our customers, operations and Special Events team.
What you'll be doing as Fleet Engineer
A significant part will be supporting the Workshop Managers and their teams to deliver a highly compliant standard of service, ensuring the operations are running effectively, and that teams are motivated. You will also work closely with the Group Fleet Engineer to move our fleet forward towards alternative fuel options, ensuring the knowledge and skillset of the workshop teams match the changing needs.
Other areas will include:
- Providing knowledge in the areas of chassis and body to assist vehicle uptime
- Sharing knowledge and best practice linked to alternative fuels
- Maintenance and systems related to electric vehicles
- Developing workshop sites and processes to an acknowledged accredited industry standard
- Arranging training on new products
- Working on key projects, including vehicle development and procurement
- Providing excellent customer service.
What we're looking for in our Fleet Engineer
- Ideally, City & Guilds Part 1, 2 and 3 in Heavy Vehicle Technology, TEC or NVQ equivalent
- Good working knowledge and understanding of 'O' licences, cost control, and current and future legislation
- IRTEC Level 3 Decommission & Recommission qualification, or equivalent, or a willingness to gain
- Approachable and confident communicator
- Full clean UK driving licence preferably with LGV Class 2 entitlement minimum
- Competent in Word, Excel and Outlook and associated workshop/fleet management systems
Please note: Given the evolving landscape around alternative fuels, we know that ready-made candidates with full operational knowledge of the processes and requirements involved in maintaining these vehicles are few and far between. Therefore, a commitment to training and development, for both you and your teams, is vital.
Working hours: 40 per week, 8am-5pm, Mon-Fri, though flexibility may be required
Grow with Grundon
Grundon is an award-winning waste management, environmental and quarrying company that develops and invests in the people that work for us. Interested in joining our success story as Fleet Engineer? Click apply. No agencies please
Please note: We interview as soon as we have applications that look like a good match, so do apply as soon as possible