Unipart Dorman is a leading UK manufacturer of LED solutions for rail and traffic signalling and hazard warning lights and its name is recognised globally for quality and innovation. The organisation is part of Unipart Rail who provide the most comprehensive portfolio of products, services and solutions available for the rail industry, using its deep expertise in continuous improvement processes to support its customers in the development of the railway system.Position
: Manufacturing Engineering ManagerLocation
: Southport, MerseysideContract Type
: Full Time, 39 per weekSalary
: Up to £45,000 per annum (depending on experience)Benefits
: Competitive salary, Pension and death in service provisions for employees in pension scheme, 25 Days Hols (plus Bank Holidays), Employee Assistance Programme (EAP), Health and Wellbeing Initiatives, Employee offers and discounts from various retailers, Cycle to work scheme, recognition events and rewards, Free car parking.About the Role:
Reporting to the Head of Operations, you will be responsible for leading a small team of Production Engineers to deliver an exceptional manufacturing engineering service to the Southport site; improving process control, efficiency and the introduction of new designs. You will be responsible for the installation, maintenance and improvement of production lines and ensuring that Health, Safety and Environmental requirements are adhered to.Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the creation and adoption of Standard Operating Procedures.
- Responsible for the Bill of Materials (BOMs) within our ERP system (SAP)
- Offer technical support and problem-solving skills to Production and the shop floor teams
- Improve the Right First Time KPI and work towards a true zero-defect culture
- Undertake continuous improvement projects to improve both the efficiency and quality of manufacture
- Provide analytical support; suggest, calculate and monitor production KPI's. Review internal processes vs outsourcing decisions and estimating future manufacturing requirements
- Design, prove, implement and maintain production systems to deliver product on time, to quality requirements and to cost.
- Implement robust procedures and be responsible for manufacturing change control
- Maintain working relationships and strengthen feedback loops between production engineering, quality control, logistics, design engineering and customer service departments
- Responsible for planning, commissioning and maintaining production processes, testing products and completing pre-production process trials.
- Identify and liaise with suitable suppliers, produce CAPEX budgets and business cases, produce requirement specifications, negotiate new machinery purchases and introduce them effectively.
- Leadership responsibility for a small team of engineers, support performance management at individual and team level, conducting performance appraisals for team members, develop and implement departmental and individual training plans in line with business needs, succession planning and individuals career progression.
- Actively lead and encourage the team to use the Unipart Way tools and techniques and develop a culture of continuous improvement to effectively deliver improvements to increase productivity, reduce costs and eliminate waste.
- Degree equivalent in Mechanical/Electronics Engineering (or equivalent experience)
- Experience gained working within a manufacturing environment and good understanding of operational procedures
- Previous experience in a supervisory / leadership role is essential
- Project management skills
- Ability to read and assess Engineering Drawings for manufacture
- Experience in Statistical Process Control
- Report writing
- Good working knowledge of all aspects of Health & Safety legislation and policies and regulatory requirements
- Understanding and application of lean manufacturing tools and techniques and the ability to lead improvement activities.
- Basic knowledge of optical testing
- Experience of Process Engineering and MTM
- Experience in six sigma methodologies would be desirable (green belt level)
- Experience with Surface Mount Technology would be advantageous
- Experience utilising SAP system
You may have experience of the following: Mechanical Engineering Manager, Mechanical Engineering, Engineering, Mechanical Engineer, Maintenance Engineer, Maintenance Technician, Production Engineer, Manufacturing, Engineering Manager, Engineering Planner, Engineering Scheduler, Operational Teams, etc.
Ref: 102 837