Senior Java Developer
Southend & Remote Working
In Scope of IR35
£560 per day max
6 Month contract
To work client side, in a Scrum squad as a Senior Java Developer.
The Senior Developer is responsible for the design, documentation, code and testing of complex program components, scripts or package configuration in line with agreed specifications; responsible for delivering complex components, including correction and iteration to agreed standards and process to meet or exceed client expectation. The Senior Developer will work proactively and collaboratively with team members, particularly when working within scrum teams using agile working methodologies, and during requirements, specification and coding review sessions. They will also provide third-line support to live application support team to enable fast and efficient Problem resolution. Provides support to test and platform teams to ensure the successful delivery of complex solutions.
The Senior Developer provides hands-on technical expertise and takes responsibility for delivering robust and resilient solutions built using proven software development techniques. They provide leadership and direction for the development activities, delivered with sufficient quality to underpin outstanding new solutions for users. The Senior Developer will make important technical decisions during the development phases and drive selection of the team's development approach. The Senior Developer will work closely with Solutions Architects, Product Managers, Service Managers, Business Analysts, Scrum Masters and the development team throughout the duration of development.
Typical Aspects of this role include, but are not limited to the following:
* Analyses business requirements, business processes, and technical architectures. Designs and uses them as the basis for the Software Engineering solution.
* Defines and analyses Software Engineering methods and advises on best fit solutions and techniques.
* Develops and applies expertise in Software Engineering Tools, Software Engineering Environment configuration and management, and Software Engineering Data Management.
* Keeps up to date with trends, road-maps and developments in all areas of Software Engineering.
* Contributes to/develops good practice in Software Engineering techniques.
* Applies productivity improvement techniques within the Software Architecture strategy.
* Work with Senior Service Manager, Product Owner/Manager and Solution Architects to build, deploy and support solutions that meet well-defined user needs.
* Identify technical options and inform architectural approaches, collaborating with team members to write tests, code and documentation for new and existing systems.
* Work with Solutions Architects to design and implement seamless integration with internal and external systems.
* Build a culture of continuous service improvement, ensuring that key systems are regularly analysed, maintained and improved.
* Collaborate with Solutions Architects, Test Engineers and Developers to build up a robust automated test suite, if required, to work in a continuous integration and continuous deployment environment.
* Providing 'second-line' support and occasional 'on-call' support as required.
* Peer review experience.
* Extensive experience and working knowledge of project development methods and associated tools and techniques (technical delivery).
* Ensures documentation methods are appropriate and cost effective
* Excellent understanding of technologies & protocols.
* Experience developing and using APIs.
* Experience of building and highly scalable solutions capable of dealing with high levels of traffic
* Experience of delivering solutions using proven software development practices including continuous integration and deployment.
* Knowledge of the use of version control systems.
* Experience using automated testing / continuous integration tools
* Experience using Confluence & JIRA
* Experience using and deploying on cloud-based platforms
* Making effective decisions that support the strategic and technical goals whilst supporting the client's needs.
Expected technical knowledge
J2SE 8 or 11, Java, Java micro services, Java Sprint Framework, Spring Boot, AWS, MYSQL/Oracle DB, code quality tools
Mandatory Technical Skills
* Must have strong Java knowledge & experience in J2SE 8 or 11 with at least 3 years experience.
* Must have proven Java knowledge & experience in Java microservices specifically, Java Spring Framework and Spring Boot 2 (2 Years + strong experience).
* Will have worked on Hybrid cloud based solutions utilising AWS.
* Experience of developing using Java 8 or 11 + Spring Boot 2
* Experience in MySQL/Oracle DB
* Experience in Jira, Confluence
* Experience in a Test-Driven Development, BDD and Pair Programming
* Experience of using code quality tools like PMD and Checkstyle
Desirable Technical Skills
* Sun Certified Java Programmer
* Experience of Agile SAFe
Mandatory Business skills
* Strong experience working in a Scrum team assisting the BA and Solution architect and taking an active role in defining, developing and validating epics and user stories.
* Have experience of working to and in a Scrum/Kanban environment.
* Good written and verbal communication skills, Problem solving and creativity skills, Honesty and Integrity, Eagerness to learn, Drive and energy, Professional appearance.