Job Title: Mechanical Engineer
Whilst this role is open to people of any age, the salary level is going to be in £28,000-£32000. Due to this the role is likely to be of interest to Graduates with 1-3 years post graduation experience
Please note : this role will require people who are able to obtain UK Security Clearance. As a result, we can only consider candidates who are UK Nationals. You will be expected to be able to provide proof of UK citizenship at the start of the recruitment process.
You will work alongside the rest of the engineers and as part of a multi-disciplined project team
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• To assist in all technical aspects of the project
• Work alongside Engineers to produce clear and accurate designs in line with the project specification, budget constraints and associated standards job specific and per legislation
• Become familiar with Health and Safety, Quality Assurance and legislative constraints within the industry
• To assist and create technical documentation such as design risk assessments, calculations (mechanical and structural), 2D documentation, 3D models and compilation of technical files
• Ensure that designs are completed to the requisite standard within the project timescale with the Project Manager and Chief Engineer.
• Liaise with Sales, EC&I, Production Engineering, Quality and Purchasing to deliver high quality integrated deliverables.
• Provide support to Assembly and Test, O&M production, and the supply chain via visits and providing a point of contact for the design Dept, allowing for quality support during build and commissioning.
• Liaise with clients and customers in a professional manner
• Creation of written reports as required.
• Must have a degree in Mechanical Engineering discipline - Mechanical, Aerospace, Automotive etc
• Work experience in an Engineering company
• Must be familiar with 3D CAD software
• A working knowledge of MathCAD would be advantageous.
• Ability to understand and create 2D production documentation.
We are committed to providing ongoing training and development and are looking to engage with people who are keen to become Chartered Engineers within 5 years.
The particular areas of expertise that will be developed will focus on :-
1. Stress and performance due to factors such as : -
• Lightweight cost of material or handling i.e automotive, man handling,
• Fatigue assessments calculations based and typically FEA based, wind,
• Stability - from cutting forces - machine tools, vibration, stiffness,
• Lifting capacity strength of materials, typically metallic, but could be a mix with bonding / welding / fabrication.
• Bolted joints, pin or moment taking
• Motor sizing, electric or IC, typically in kW to move something or provide torque to a wheel
• Torque delivery, transmissions
• Drive shafts / couplings
Of particular interest are people who have had experience of design projects based around strength of materials. For example, many universities run projects based around automotive engineering (IMechE Formula Student etc) and people who have been involved in aspects such as power train, brakes, suspension systems etc are likely to have gained good relevant knowledge.
Whilst there are no age restrictions for candidates, the salary level is likely to be of people with up to 3 years' experience following graduation.