Maximus UK, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Maximus, Inc., operates several business lines in the UK, including the Centre for Health and Disability Assessments, Remploy, Health Management and Revitalised. Maximus UK employs 3,800 local staff, including over 1,400 doctors, nurses, occupational therapists and other Healthcare Professionals. Operating from more than 270 locations across England, Scotland and Wales, Maximus UK is one of the largest providers of employment, health and disability support programmes in the country. Learn more at maximusuk.co.uk.
The Head of Bid Management is responsible for the production of high quality, winning tenders to win new business and retain clients, as part of the end-to-end sales process.
The role involves both managing the bid production team of Bid Managers, Bid Writers and Bid Coordinators to ensure high quality, compliant and compelling responses within customer timeframes to win and retain profitable deals. This necessitates both management of a team, oversight of bid responses, and leading individual projects to win work. Managing a small team, the Head of Bid Management needs to flex between team management and bid production in line with the changing workload.
Home based with travel as required.
£53,000 - £60,000 non-London
£60,000 - £67,000 London
1. Management of the bid production team
The Head of Bid Management manages the bid production team, including owning key business development processes, managing resource allocation, and line management responsibilities. Specifically:
• Coordination of the timely production of Bid / No Bid recommendations
• Assembling, quality assuring and disseminating packs for governance calls
• Recording and disseminating actions from governance calls
• Ensuring the Business Development pipeline and CRM accurate and up to date
• Ensuring consistent team use of the shared workspace and software
• Ensuring the bid library is maintained with up to date, accurate information and presentation
• Quality assuring bids submitted to clients
• Aligning processes to Proposal Operations processes used across MAXIMUS
• Managing resourcing of bid, including determining appropriate resource based on the Bid / No Bid decisions; allocation of key personnel; tracking and reviewing team resourcing; and escalating prioritisation issues to the Business Development Director.
• Maintaining a centralised calendar of key milestones for all bids in order to plan and track resourcing and decision-making
Line management: performance management and personal development of Bid Managers and the Lead Bid Coordinator
Continuous Improvement: Develop, identify and share expertise across the company in order to embed best practice, and apply lessons from wider MAXIMUS Proposal Operations.
2. Bid management
The Head of Bid Management must also lead on specific business development opportunities in line with Health Management’s standard processes. This includes:
• Timely completion of Bid / No Bid assessments for new opportunities using the Contract Guardrail template
• Preparing, collating and writing compelling responses to tenders to win or retain business
• Working with a range of stakeholders including the Solutions Architect, Implementation Managers, Pricing Analyst and Contracts Manager to ensure that all components of the proposal are completed to a high quality and on time
• Drafting appropriate governance packs with clear recommendations for approval
• Supporting the preparation of presentations to clients, other supporting documentation and information required for new business.
Qualifications and/or Experience
• A high quality degree Educated to degree level or equivalent qualifications or work experience or equivalent experience
• A relevant project management qualification (or equivalent experience)
• Significant business development experience in a procurement environment
• Experience of commercial modelling and pricing in a B2B service environment
• Experience of managing a bid team
• Experience of producing tender documents, pitches and proposals
• Experience of communicating with internal and external clients
• Highly structured and organised
• Excellent line management skills, encompassing both robust performance management and developmental coaching
• Able to manage their own and others’ workflows and multiple priorities
• Outstanding written English
• Strong commercial skillset including both financial analysis and contractual review
• Literacy in MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Visio
• Prioritises work by urgency and importance
• Proactively seeks improvements in team working to increase efficiency and quality of output
• Facilitates open discussion about ways of working and opportunities to improve
• Balances the views of stakeholders to make clear recommendations and informed decisions
Escalates risks and issues to Business Development Director as appropriate
MAXIMUS is committed to developing, maintaining and supporting a culture of equality and diversity in employment in which our employees as well as candidates for employment are treated equitably. We understand that a diverse workforce adds to our competitive advantage; and as such, we aim to ensure that job applicants do not receive less favourable treatment on the grounds of sex, race, marital status, disability, age, part-time or fixed term contract status, sexual orientation or religion, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements that cannot be shown to be justifiable. Advertisements for posts will include sufficiently clear and accurate information to enable potential applicants to assess their own suitability for the post.
Where reasonable, MAXIMUS will review and consider adjustments for those applicants who express a requirement for them during the recruitment process.