Changing the way people think about waste.
At Biffa, we love working with waste. Whether we're turning it into sustainable power, finding new ways to recycle it or simply keeping it off the streets, we believe every day is an opportunity to improve the lives of millions. It's a view that's shared by our 9,500+ people around the country, who trust us to provide them with a career that's always rewarding, often challenging, but never dull. And it's why we're the UK's No. 1 choice for business waste management
A quick look at the role.
This is a leading, senior environmental specialist management role to ensure delivery of and support for key corporate and operational business development projects and strategies relating to investment, growth and environmental compliance. The scope ranges from UK-wide to local and timescales from weeks to years. This support is essential to the commercial success, reputational standing and legal status of Biffa and the roles directly and indirectly impacts on that.
*** This is a remote working role with travel to sites and offices across the country as required ***
Why it's an opportunity not to be wasted.
- Preparation, submission and negotiation of environment permit applications, amendments, reviews, working schemes, regulatory charges and financial provisions, also discharge consents, for existing and new waste management operations across the Group's operating divisions, so as to secure consents and subsequent compliance necessary to deliver the key corporate and operational business development, investment and compliance strategies which are essential to the commercial success and reputational standing of Biffa Plc.
- Responding to relevant national and local policy and regulatory consultations, engaging with external bodies as necessary, so as to help influence and safeguard the Group's current and planned business activities necessary to achieve key corporate and national commercial and environmental strategies.
- Appointment and management of external environmental consultants in order to deliver and maintain necessary consents for current and planned business activities.
- Provide detailed specialist environmental regulation advice, guidance and analysis across the business at senior management and front line staff level in relation to current operations, compliance issues, problem solving, development projects, major contract tenders, due diligence on mergers and acquisitions, environmental risk management and business planning in order to inform, influence and support the business decision making necessary to deliver corporate and operational growth and compliance strategies fundamental to the success of the business
- Representation of Biffa Plc as necessary on external bodies such as ESA and Environment Agency working groups and at external professional events such as seminars and conferences to promote the business and help improve knowledge and understanding within the waste management sector.
- Management and maintenance of Biffa group-wide environmental permitting database in support of the Group's business development and compliance activities and corporate responsibilities
- Management of cost savings relating to Permit applications, Permit subsistence fees, development project permit components and financial provisions associated with environmental permits in order to achieve identified cost management outcomes and targets
- Carrying out any other such reasonable job-related tasks as the Group may require.
- Bachelor Degree level or higher in Environmental management, waste management or similar, relevant subject
- Minimum 10 years hands-on experience of working in environmental permitting and environmental management role in a waste management context, including dealing with environmental regulatory bodies
- Project and budget management experience
- Experience of dealing with senior management, customers and senior external regulatory officials
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of current and proposed environmental and regulatory legislation
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of environmental permitting guidance and compliance requirements
- Detailed knowledge of different types of waste management activity and techniques
- Excellent report writing, communication and presentation skills
- Articulate, confident and assertive with a persuasive manner
- Able to communicate effectively with all staff levels from Director to front line staff, as well as senior officials in regulatory bodies and stakeholder organisations
- High standard of analytical ability, to quickly assess issues and recommend and/or implement solutions
- Robust and resilient, able to absorb pressure and respond positively
- Solid pragmatic approach to delivering to tight deadlines and targets
- Excellent attention to detail with the ability to plan, organise and prioritise effectively
- Ability to deal with conflict and negotiate / manage the appropriate outcome
And here's why you'll love it at Biffa.
- Competitive salary
- Performance bonus
- Company car or car allowance
- Generous pension scheme
- Private health care
- Retail and leisure discounts
- Holiday and travel discounts
- Cycle to work scheme
Dedicated to diversity.
At Biffa we believe different ideas, perspective and backgrounds are key to developing a creative working environment that delivers real results. It's why you'll find us championing diversity and equality at every turn.