Role summary/purpose of job
Freshfields’ Finance team support the Firm in multiple global locations, producing timely and accurate financial and management information, reporting solutions and operational support to maintain the high standard of service offered to the Firm’s clients.
The successful Finance Business Analyst will be involved in an exciting project, reporting directly to the Global Finance Strategy Team with exposure to senior leadership. This role will be part of a project team set up to provide research and analytical capacity which will support the development and implementation of strategic and tactical initiatives aiming to improve the efficiency and effectiveness with which the finance team deliver their services to the Firm.
Working closely with your project team and across the global finance function, you will be expected to provide detailed financial reports, reconciliations and analyses and make process improvement recommendations and system-based solutions. Your professional skills and experience will allow you to navigate audit and accounting requirements in relation to a high-profile programme of work and develop these in practice.
The Finance Business Analyst will own the change from inception to outcome, working from initial ideas and requirements gathering to proposal, design and delivery.
Key responsibilities and deliverables
- Partner with teams throughout the global Finance function and other support departments to understand business need with the aim of improving accuracy, efficiency and controls
- Responsible for conducting financial analysis, reconciliations and delivering insightful recommendations
- Support the development of a cost governance and control framework which clearly defines and mitigates finance and compliance risk
- Review and correct prior year variances arising on a consolidated historic reporting basis resulting in development of a robust historic reporting model
- Review and define local cost allocation making recommendations to standardise where possible, fully documenting rationale for exceptions with a clear guidance document,
- Work with existing finance teams to guide the direction of internal reporting output and statutory returns reporting processes
- Improve transparency over ways of working and how this can be better supported through technology promoting ideas to the specialist finance teams for review
- Work with finance team members to review and adjust proposed new policies and processes to ensure they are fit for purpose
- Work closely with the finance systems developers and minimise draw on the existing finance systems team when developing and implementing system change
What will it take for someone to be successful in this position?
- develop in-depth functional and operational knowledge of finance systems, processes and policies
- identify and develop opportunities for change in processes
- credibly challenge the status quo distinguishing user requests from requirements
- build relationships and collaborate with colleagues of all levels
- promote best practices and procedures in line with global finance policies
- critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, navigating complex issues and competing perspectives
- transform high level information into detail as well as consolidating up from local level
- analyse data and provide executive level commentary to be communicated and presented to senior leadership including non-finance stakeholders
- Highly analytical with a mindset towards process improvement with strong communication and collaboration skills
- Sound understanding and awareness of accounting principles and judgements necessary within an international group structure and the specific regulatory environment in which an international partnership operates
- Post qualification (ACA / CIMA / ACCA) or equivalently qualified by experience
- Advanced Excel skills with
- VBA/SQL/modelling skills
- German language
- Experience from within the legal sector / professional services and / or other large international corporate environment
- Experience of providing analytical support to a change programme and working within a project environment
Freshfields is an equal opportunities employer and all applications received by the firm will be considered by the firm on the basis of their merit alone and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified individuals regardless of background. All offers of employment will be conditional on the candidate having/securing the right to work in the UK and providing the firm with evidence of that right (as required by the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006) prior to employment commencing.
Freshfields is a Ban the Box employer. We ask applicants to disclose criminal convictions only when a conditional job offer is made. A conviction does not automatically lead to withdrawal of the offer: we make decisions on a case by case basis and take a number of factors into account (e.g. the role you are applying for and the circumstances of the offence). You would have the opportunity to discuss the matter with us before we make a decision.