Risk & Controls Manager
An established, highly successful and rapidly growing FinTech. A commercial lender with nationwide coverage, who finances Property Investors and Developers and SME’s to help them grow. Recognised as one of the UK’s top 100 fastest-growing technology companies in the Sunday Times Tech Track 100 for 2 years in a row.
As Risk & Controls Manager you will take a key role in leading the implementation and embedding of the Risk Management Framework (RMF) - risk management policy, framework, processes and reporting.
This includes facilitating the effective operation of the risk and control self-assessment (RCSA) process, assessment of the profile of key risks within the business, overseeing risk incident logging and remediation, challenging colleagues to ensure that there is appropriate ownership and action is taken to resolve in a timely manner risks outside of accepted tolerance and open risk incidents, supporting effective risk governance by co-ordinating and creating papers and packs for presentation into various risk fora.
This role sits within the second line of defence for Risk Management.
Risk Business Partnering:
- Support colleagues to comply with the Risk Management Policy, Framework and associated processes and procedures.
- Guide, support, and challenge colleagues to deliver their roles and requirements under the RCSA process, leading to an up to date and accurate risk register, providing support and guidance as necessary where gaps or opportunities are identified.
- Build open, trusted and mutually beneficial relationships with all functions (including all three lines of defence) based on transparent, two-way risk and control information exchange, using this information to inform the Risk’s function’s understanding of key risk exposures and areas that need additional risk management support.
- Promote an effective risk culture and support the delivery of risk management training to the first line functions.
- Support the development and enhancement of risk reporting within the business, especially through supporting colleagues at all levels to identify and report risks and incidents correctly, encouraging and assisting the provision of timely, pertinent commentary on risks, controls, and actions by colleagues.
Risk Management Framework:
- Support the Head of Risk in embedding, managing, and maintaining the Risk Register, Risk Management Framework, Risk Appetite Reporting, and Risk Governance Framework.
- Monitor the risk appetite framework and ensure exceptions in the Key Risk Appetite Metrics are identified in a timely manner and actions to bring them back with tolerance are tracked and resolved.
- Oversee and challenge risk assessments conducted by first line functions to ensure appropriateness of coverage and consistency.
- Overseeing the implementation of appropriate controls to manage risks, and the delivery of the actions necessary to close gaps in the control framework.
- Provide assurance to the Head of Risk on risk and controls through periodic deep dive reviews, investigations, and general oversight work.
- Support the Head of Risk in completing the deliverables behind the annual Risk Goals, leading and project managing workstreams within the Risk Goals’ deliverables.
Risk Incident Reporting:
- Oversee and support the first line to carry out its responsibilities for risk incident management, including the production as appropriate of robust root cause analysis for risk incidents.
- Oversee that ownership and suitable actions are put in place for remediating and closing risk incidents in a timely and fit manner, producing monthly risk incident updates and reports on the risk incident position.
- Ensure that the policy library remains current and relevant.
- Act as Secretariat for Risk Committee assisting the Chair in organization, running, and recording Committee meetings.
- Attendance at key business and governance forums in a second line capacity, providing both advice and robust challenge on business risks and mitigation actions.
Skills & Knowledge:
Qualifications and Knowledge:
- Educated to Degree level or holding a relevant Risk qualification e.g., through the Institute of Risk Management
- Able to demonstrate a good understanding of the risk management landscape in financial services, its risk practices, techniques, and governing regulations.
- Experience of working in a second line function or delivering the identification and management of risks in a Financial Services’ first-line function.
- Strong knowledge of risk management frameworks, and the different types of financial and non-financial risks faced by the business.
- Good communication skills, with an ability to build productive working relationships at all levels.
- Diligent approach with a high degree of integrity, able to show excellent organisational skills and that they take personal responsibility for workflow.
- Good attention to detail and accuracy, with an ability to challenge constructively.
- A high standard of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
Future & Reward:
- You’ll be joining a stable growing business with a relaxed, committed, and enthusiastic team-oriented work atmosphere.
- As the business continues to expand, career opportunities are there for the taking for the right people.
- You’ll be rewarded with a basic salary dependent upon experience, pension, healthcare, life cover and other benefits.
- The business offers flexible working hours and a great work-life balance.