Becoming a Portfolio Office Manager with the Data Communications Company:
About the DCC
At the Data Communications Company, we believe in making Britain more connected, so we can all lead smarter, greener lives. We’ve built the secure infrastructure that’s supporting the mass roll-out of smart meters across the country. Our universal, secure network will be in 30 million homes and small businesses, making it the largest network in Britain. So it’s a truly exciting time to join us. You’ll be part of a team that’s supporting the country’s transition to a low-carbon economy, and helping to ensure an affordable, secure, and sustainable energy supply for the future.
Operating independently of its parent company, Capita plc*, the DCC is a Disability Confident Committed Employer. We’re directed by the Department for Business and regulated by OFGEM. We collaborate with the Government and leading telco and utility industry service providers to help protect consumers and give them better energy choices. A finalist in the Top Workplace Awards in 2018, we reward professionals who thrive in an environment of change and innovation. Watch this about DCC video and if it ignites your interest, apply below.
DCC is seeking an experienced Portfolio Office Manager to contribute to the evolution and longer term management of the Portfolio Office which operates under the Portfolio Management Services function (which also incorporates PMO Practice and Project Management Practice).
What you’ll be doing:
Specific responsibilities include:
- To provide leadership of the Portfolio Office team ensuring effective and efficient programme and project controls and reporting are in place.
- To effectively manage the framework in which the Portfolio Office operates, encompassing aggregation of Plans, Risk & Issues Registers and Budgets from individual projects and programmes to provide a Portfolio level view for Senior Management.
- To operate across all Portfolio functions including Benefits Management, Risk & Issue Management, Scheduling & Planning, Governance, Financial Control
- To ensure an effective continuous improvement cycle is established incorporating feedback from senior management, programme leadership and Portfolio Management Services team members.
- To ensure capability development plans are in place for each member of the Portfolio Office team with clear performance parameters set for each role and measured accordingly via career performance appraisals.
- To ensure that interfaces with other parts of the Portfolio Management Services organisation and other teams who require Portfolio Ofiice interaction are in place, understood and working effectively.
- To grow and develop the function to meet the changing needs of the business, ensuring the right information is captured from the projects & programmes to enable the production of Management Information that assists the business with decision making.
- To ensure effective methodologies, standards, policies and templates are in place and in use.
- Own and maintain project governance approaches, methods and standards
- To provide input on an ongoing basis to change management processes and procedures
- Build consultative relationships with Portfolio Office staff, the PMO team and the wider Senior Management Leadership Teams, including ExCo.
- Line Management of Portfolio Office Analysts
What we’re looking for:
- Ability to build and lead a team
- Work collaboratively with external stakeholders/Users/Customers
- Analytical with ability to solve problems, prioritise
- Focus on delivering business value through outcomes, with appropriate process rigour
- Effective communicator – both written and spoken
- An eye for detail, ability to review/quality assure documentation and provide constructive feedback
- Communicate complex concepts and ideas through visual models
- Working in ambiguous environments
- Working in high pressure environments
- 5+ years experience in a delivery role, minimum 2 years in a Portfolio Office
- Proven experience in building or transforming a Portfolio Office based on industry best practice
- Experience of providing tangible business benefit through a Portfolio structure
- Senior stakeholder management
- Effective people leadership and line management
- Understanding of key tools and techniques to be used in PMO organisations
- Working with geographically disparate teams
- Programme Delivery experience
- MoP Practioner Qualified
- Experience of managing consultants
- Experience of managing contractors
What’s in it for you?
Become part of our team at DCC and you’ll find an inclusive culture which prizes mutual respect, innovation and high performance. It all adds up to make DCC a great place to work. Hard work deserves great benefits, and we offer our colleagues a range of reasons to enjoy their time at DCC:
- Bonus scheme
- Private medical insurance.
- Extensive personal development and training opportunities
- Hybrid working – Many of our people work 1 to 3 days in the office..
- Flexible holidays – increase your standard 25 days by purchasing extra days.
- Dental plan.
- Cycle to work scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Headspace free membership – a popular mindfulness app.
- Season ticket travel loan
- Charity days
- Retail discounts.
- Discounted gym membership
- RAC discount
- Income protection scheme
Your application will be carefully considered, and you will hear from us regarding its progress.