McCarthy & Stone is the UK’s leading retirement housebuilder and we have pioneered the industry for over 40 years. We build award winning, well-designed retirement developments where every detail has been carefully thought through.
We have built more than 51,000 apartments in more than 1,000 locations UK wide and our driving ambition is to create retirement communities that enrich the lives of our customers, their families and our employees.
About the Role:
We are seeking a number of proactive Assistant Site Managers to join us in supporting the construction of our developments in the Kent area. The role reports directly for the Site Manager and the 'ASM’ takes the lead with all safety related matters, supplier management and logistical resource support.
Key duties of an Assistant Site Manager include;
- 'Call off’ of all materials involved in the superstructure and finishing phase of the project
- Control material deliveries to ensure there is no under supply or oversupply
- Ensure minimal cost overrun by controlling storage and protection of materials
- Wall charts to always be updated
- Attend weekly meetings and liaise with trades over material supply issues
- Goods receipting all delivered materials on computerised system
- Monitor storage space for deliveries and organise the distribution of materials
- Programming of all skip exchanges and monitoring compliance
- Supervision over health & safety requirements is vital, such as; maintaining the site attendance log and monitoring safe pedestrian and traffic management routes
- Carry out all inductions with Agency Staff working as part of the team on site
- Ensure a HAV register is in place for all plant / tools and check compliance
- Check, coordinate and issues regarding permits
- Carry out safety inspections and checks
- The ASM will also attend Tool Box Talks as directed by the Site Manager
McCarthy & Stone are a considerate construction company and as such follow the code of practice!
This opportunity will suit either an experienced Assistant Site Manager or an ambitious individual with Site experience ready to take the next step in their career.
McCarthy & Stone invest in developing our people and many of our 'ASMs’ have progressed their careers to become Site Managers.
Key skills, experience and qualifications:
- Degree in construction management or equivalent or proven practical experience is required
- CSCS Card - ideally a 'Black Manager Card’, however training support will be provided
- SMSTS certificate will be an advantage
- First aider certificate will also be advantageous
- On-site experience is required - this should include exposure to constructing multi-development buildings, such as flats, apartments or hotel
- A good knowledge of trades and their processes is required
- Enthusiastic with a proactive approach
- Willingness to learn and keen to continue develop skills/career
- Self-motivated and determined
- Strong communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong organisational and planning skills
- Valid UK driving licence
- To create a diverse environment in which individual differences and the contributions of all our staff are recognised and valued.
- Every employee is entitled to a working environment that promotes dignity and respect to all. No form of intimidation, bullying or harassment will be tolerated.
- Training, development and progression opportunities are available to all staff.
- Equality in the workplace is good management practice and makes sound business sense.
- We will regularly review all our employment practices and procedures to ensure fairness.
- Breaches of our equality policy will be regarded as misconduct, potentially lead to disciplinary proceedings.
- This policy is fully supported by senior management.