The Cook/Chef must be reliable and fully competent in all aspects of kitchen duties and be able to produce a variety of menus, including catering for special dietary needs, whilst not exceeding the budget.
*Apprenticeship opportunities available
• Promote the Company Mission Statement at all times.
• Prepare menu in line with allocated food budget.
• Prepare, cook and serve meals chosen by the Service Users from the menu for the day, using stock as required as economically as possible, whilst maintaining the quality without undue shortages or excesses
• Liaise with chosen suppliers on ordering the required stock whilst maintaining the budget.
• To document daily menus.
• Store all food safely. Rotate stock and check ‘use by’ dates regularly
• Ensure kitchen equipment is kept clean and ready for use and ensure that all cleaning rotas are completed and handed to the Person in Charge.
• Assist the Care Manager in the resolution of any Service Users’ catering complaints.
• Supervise the kitchen staff and assist with the induction and training programme for new staff and participate in staff reviews and supervisions.
• To be aware of risks to the Service Users from the kitchen equipment.
• Comply with company policy and procedure in relation to infection control and prevention.
• Attend staff meeting as required.
• Maintain confidentiality at all times in relation to the relevant data protection legislation.
• Develop and maintain a good rapport with Service Users, relatives and be polite and courteous to all visitors. When answering the telephone, ensure professionalism and any messages taken are dealt with effectively.
• Maintain appropriate documentation in line with ‘Safer Food Better Business’.
• Ensure safe use of equipment and report any defects to the Person in Charge.
• Report incidents involving Service Users, staff or visitors immediately to the Person in Charge
• Understand the importance of correct record management and own personal responsibilities in maintaining this through passwords, storage of documentation, and sharing information (both paper based or on electronic systems).
• Report breeches of records security to line manager or the Caldicott Guardian.
• The Cook/Chef will hold an Intermediate Food Hygiene Certificate. They will also show a willingness to participate in continuous improvement and vocational training programmes.
• Have an understanding of the Health and Social Care Act 2008.
• Able to demonstrate an ability to manage pressure, prioritise tasks and communicate effectively at all levels.
• Genuine interest in working in a care environment.
• Have an understanding of and empathy with older people.
• Be able to take a lead where needed and also be a team player.
• Required to work in a physically and mentally demanding environment.
If you would like to use your experience and people skills in an organisation that provides the best quality care you’d expect for your loved ones, then MMCG is a rewarding place to be.
In return for all of this you will receive a competitive salary package plus:
• Training support and development opportunities
• 5.6 weeks annual leave
• Fully funded training
• Simply Health cover after one year of service, inc. cashback on medical and dental expenses
• Perkbox - a range of discounts and free monthly offers for a variety of high street shops and restaurants
• Car through salary sacrifice
• Cycle to Work scheme
• NEST pension plan
• Nurse and carer referral scheme
• Rewards for 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25 years of service
• Annual staff recognition through MMCG Care Awards
“Maria Mallaband Care Group’s main priority is the welfare and wellbeing of its residents and staff. We have therefore adopted a Group wide policy across all our Homes requiring all new staff to confirm they are willing to receive a [Covid-19] vaccine. Prior to commencing employment, the successful applicant will be required to confirm in writing that they are happy to consent to receiving a Covid Vaccine when available, in accordance with the Government’s UK wide vaccination programme and that they are not aware of any reason why they would should not consent. We are happy to answer any queries any applicant might have about this policy.”