Bid Manager (Cambridge or other Mott MacDonald office / some home working)
Mott MacDonald are seeking a Bid Manager to help them win work in the water and environment sector. This part of their business is evolving, and they need someone to help drive them into the next era by supporting their passion to win new and exciting projects in the UK and internationally.
They are looking for an experienced Bid Manager who can step into this new role and take ownership of a small and focused bidding team, provide insight and strategy to improve how they do things, and be a mentor and line manager to the junior bidding professionals.
They really want you to be future focused. You’ll have the opportunity to shape the strategy and how the team develops. They want you to be able to lead strategic conversations with clear market insights and remain focused on positioning and winning high-value work with their strategic clients.
You’ll be managing and working with a wide range of stakeholders, so it’s critical you have excellent communication skills. However, it’s particularly crucial that you work with their senior teams to develop capture plans and bid strategies for pre-positioning, including considering competitive analysis. You need to be confident at communicating concisely across our business. As the Bid Manager it won’t be a surprise that you’ll be managing their bid team, and this includes day to day people management. Although this is a small team, it’s critical that you enjoy managing a team so you can support their overall development, be available to offer support and guidance, and foster a positive team environment.
Your colleagues will also look to you for guidance and feedback when things don’t go to plan. They want you to be able to give constructive but robust commentary on where the teams could do better on bids. This might be chairing ‘Lessons Learnt” sessions or having frank discussions with team leaders. As well as giving feedback, they also want you to be able to obtain meaningful opinions from their clients about where you did well – and not so well – on bids.
Bid Manager Minimum / Desired Qualifications
* Five years+ experience in managing tenders for international and UK markets.
People management experience.
* An excellent bid writer and have the ability to interpret and translate complex technical content into engaging bid content.
Skills to set you apart
Here’s a little bit more guidance on what their ideal Bid Manager would look like. It’s OK if you don’t tick every box, they do want to hear from candidates with diverse professional and personal backgrounds and they understand that not every career path looks the same, so it doesn’t mean you won’t be right for this role if you don’t fulfil every need.
* They would like you to be educated to degree level in a technical or management subject, although relevant experience will be considered in lieu of qualifications.
* Experienced in stakeholder management and have the skills and the ability to work as part of diverse teams.
* Proficient at chairing meetings and actively managing all aspects of a proposal with authority as well as providing appropriate challenge to a wide variety of stakeholders.
* Strong stakeholder management skills and competent at influencing and communicating at all levels and across multiple platforms.
To apply for this Bid Manager role please contact Bid Solutions