HR Admin Team Manager
Job reference: REQ0414
Location: Flexible (see JD)
Salary: *GBP*28,978 - *GBP*31,062
Contract Type: Permanent
Working Pattern: This is a full-time vacancy, based on a 37 hour week
We’re a flexible employer and encourage applicants who wish to work a flexible working pattern to apply - all requests will be considered.
It’s essential you have the right to work in the UK before applying to work with us, as we’re currently unable to offer sponsorship.
You’ll also need to meet the requirements of the Civil Service Nationality Rules.
Disability Confident Scheme
If you apply under the Disability Confident Scheme, you’ll be invited for interview/assessment, so long as you meet any elements of ‘Experience’ or ‘Technical’ marked as essential in the Success Profile.
About the team
Forestry & Land Scotland (FLS) is an Agency of Scottish Government. Our staff work in a broad range of roles that allows us to manage Scotland’s forests and land. We have a talented and dedicated workforce, providing forests and land that Scotland can be proud of, and our Human Resources Team help support the people who look after the forests and land by providing expert people management support for all.
The Team also provides guidance and support to our sister agency, Scottish Forestry, which is responsible for forestry policy, support and regulations, grants incentives, technical forestry advice and cross border forestry arrangements.
We are seeking a capable, confident, organised HR Admin Team Manager to join our Team. You will lead the delivery of a quality organisation-wide support service across core and specialist HR areas. This is a multifaceted, busy job and the successful candidate will be working with colleagues across the business while balancing administrative priorities on a daily basis, where clear communication and attention to detail is key.
Previous experience in HR is not essential but you should possess a strong work ethic, solid leadership and administrative skills and be motivated to change and improve our systems and processes. You should also have a passion for providing excellent customer service and be able to manage a variety of different tasks.
Based in Silvan House, Edinburgh, with hybrid or home working available, this role will give you experience across all aspects of HR Operations and the opportunity to learn new skills.
You will have access to some great benefits while working for us and we will be happy to provide training in HR administration for the right candidate.
What you will do
You will lead a team of HR Administrators to ensure an efficient and consistent high level of service is delivered to all colleagues.
To be successful in this role, you will need to be comfortable with a high volume of work, have the ability to work closely with managers and have the confidence and personality to communicate effectively at all levels. You will require excellent time management skills and be confident in using IT. You should be methodical and organised with excellent attention to detail. An extensive part of the role is to manage your own workload and that of the team, so you will be expected to have excellent leadership, time management and prioritisation skills.
A key part of this role is forming positive working relationships with colleagues across the business, so strong interpersonal skills and the ability to act with integrity and observe confidentiality are essential.
• You will line manage a team of HR Administrators to provide a high quality, consistent, customer focussed HR administrative service for FLS and Scottish Forestry.
• Manage and support the administration of the full employee life cycle including recruitment, promotions, transfers, leavers, maternity etc.
• Guiding managers, employees and the wider HR Team on internal systems and processes.
• Ensure all processes and contractual documents are up to date and compliant with current legislation.
• Ensure all information relating to staff is treated in confidence and maintain Data Protection and GDPR compliance.
• Act as point of escalation for more complex queries.
• Identify training and development needs for the administrative team and facilitate individual and team development.
• Provide information required for audit/compliance.
• Manage contracts associated with Cycle to Work Scheme.
• Initiate and support changes to deliver improvements.
The Success Profile below set outs the essential and desirable elements that make up the vacant position - you’ll be expected to demonstrate how you meet the Experience and Technical criteria at application and interview stage. Any Behaviours will be assessed at interview stage.
• Experience of managing, leading and developing a team.
• Demonstrable experience of working in an administrative role.
• Ability to self-manage, work on own initiative but more importantly as part of a team.
• Experience of organising and maintaining mailboxes and electronic filing systems.
• Strong experience of drafting professional emails and letters, and of communicating effectively with internal and external stakeholders via telephone and MS Teams.
• Experience of working to set timescales
• Experience of working within the HR environment of a Civil or Public Sector organisation.
• Experience of supporting recruitment campaigns including an understanding of pre-employment checks and on-boarding.
• Good knowledge and experience of Microsoft Office, especially Word, Excel and Outlook.
• European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL).
• Experience of using HR systems (ideally iTrent).
Behaviour 1 and Lead Criteria: Changing and Improving
Behaviour 2: Seeing the Big Picture
Behaviour 3: Leadership
Behaviour 4: Delivering at Pace
What we offer you
If successful, you’ll be entitled to a wide range of benefits, details of which can be found here.
We believe it’s important to create an inclusive and supportive work culture and we welcome applications from everyone, regardless of background.
Closing date: 25 September 2022 at 11.55pm.