Revenue & Customs Digital Technology Services (RCDTS) are working alongside HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) and implementing bold plans to transform our IT and digital services.
We are using digital services and smart data to help people deal with us effectively and efficiently, but also allows us to better identify the minority who seek to avoid or evade their taxes
Our IT infrastructure is one of the largest and most dynamic in Europe, and we are now one of the most digitally-advanced tax authorities in the world.
We focus on our people, with clearly defined career pathways that are rewarding, fulfilling and achievable. We have flexible ways of working to help everyone manage their own work/life balance. And we’re creating an authentically diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels able to bring their whole self to work.
Service Central & Technical Services (SC&TS) is a new delivery group created to build on and exploit the ServiceNow platform capability. Now is an exciting time to join us as we optimise user experience and build capability across our organisation.
We deliver reliable, secure, and supportable solutions to around 76,000 of our colleagues across HMRC and play a critical part in ensuring that HMRC is both efficient and effective.
Role & Responsibilities
As a Principal Business Analyst, you will capture, analyse and document customer and outcome focused requirements supporting the communication and delivery of those requirements with relevant individuals and teams. You’ll be adept at delivering complex digital projects using a combination of Agile and Waterfall techniques to deliver specific products or transformation and breaking down barriers for your team. Planning at strategic level, whilst also being an expert in Digital perspectives and comfortable setting the scope for multiple projects with the ability to dive into the detail to make things happen when needed.
You will define project needs recognising the potential for automation of business processes and improvements in information systems and feed these into the programme/portfolio process to enable resource to be appropriately allocated. You will be core to decisions that build robust teams, where people are passionate about the work they are undertaking.
The role will promote the interests of HMRC strategic use of Service Now and its exploitation by Business Areas. HMRC has made a significant investment in this leading-edge technology – this role is crucial to achieving the financial savings and increased efficiencies across the whole of the HMRC estate and ensures that the money spent is an investment and not a cost.
You will be the main contact and Subject Matter Expert for modelling business services
Duties will include:
* Leading on collaboration with and influencing of all stakeholders including senior grades throughout the full delivery lifecycle flexing your style as appropriate.
* Line Management of Senior BAs & BAs where appropriate
* Requirement’s elicitation and workshops, Stakeholder engagement and management, Scoping of projects
* Lead on refining and prioritising the modelling of services within HMRC
* Act as point of operational escalation between Delivery Groups / Service Owners (and managers) and Service Central.
* Engaging teams and stakeholders to develop a compelling vision and strategy for modelling, and communicate these over the short and long-term
* Promote best practice and appropriate use of toolsets and solutions that align with and contribute toward SC&TS, CDIO and HMRC strategies and priorities for both SC&TS and the BA Profession
* Build up the knowledge of a Principal Business Analyst through understanding the DDaT Profession, capabilities at appropriate levels
* Provide key business and technical insights into potential solutions which can be delivered by the ServiceNow platform
* Engage with and become an active member of the BA professional community, Heads of Role & Heads of Profession to enhance peers understanding of the potential of ServiceNow through the organisation
* Advise Service Owners on best practice & the use of the defined services/products including which options are most suitable for a given set of circumstance.
* Analysing the As-is and To-Be process / aims for Projects
* Communication. Excellent written and verbal communication skills to all levels, to both business and technical audiences.
* Business Analysis. Proven demonstrable experience of business analysis, you know how to direct business analysis including the discovery of information and evidence and the identification of problems and opportunities. You can ensure that recommendations fit with strategic business objectives. You are able to actively manage senior stakeholders and create a compelling case for change. You can own methods and identify the most suitable approach out of a variety of approaches.
* Leadership. Owning a high-profile process with an ability to define direction, goals and work collaboratively to agree and plan supporting activities.
* Stakeholder Management (Expert), Ability to build relationships and influence/negotiate at all levels across the organisation, managing conflict through facilitation and diplomacy using various methods.
* Experience knowledge of using Business analysis tools and techniques to analyse, model and present information.
* ServiceNow proficiency and knowledge of Service Modelling / CSDM with the ServiceNow platform
* Knowledge of the DDaT Profession framework and the capabilities required.
* Knowledge of HMRC estate
* Demonstratable knowledge of Service Modelling and the ServiceNow Platform
* Demonstratable knowledge of CSDM definitions and how these translate into guidance for Service Modelling activities.
CVs should clearly demonstrate how the candidate meets the essential criteria stated above.
Applicants will be sifted based upon contents of the CV providing evidence of the essential criteria.
If you are successful at the sift stage, you will be invited to interview to demonstrate your suitability. Interviews may be held via Teams due to current COVID19 situation.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We want to make sure no one is put at a disadvantage during our recruitment process because of a disability, condition, or impairment. To assist you with this, we will reduce or remove any barriers where possible and provide additional support where appropriate. Please see our Disability Matters: How we can support you during our selection process booklet for more details.
Applicants are encouraged to contact the recruitment manager who can forward any queries to the vacancy holder or can arrange for an informal discussion to understand the role better:
Amy Goulding – email will be in the advert link
All applicants will need to provide proof that they have the right to work in the UK. Information on Right to Work legislation can be found at Right to Work in UK
We are committed to offering flexible working within our organisation. We will consider all requests to work part-time, flexibly or on a job-share basis. Please speak to the recruitment team or the hiring manager if you would like to discuss flexible working arrangements.
RCDTS is an office-based organisation committed to achieving the optimum work/life balance arrangements for staff. Where business requirements permit, we are fully supportive of a blend of home and office working.
A copy of the RCDTS Book of Benefits is attached to this job advert
If you are applying for a role in an office within a regional centre location or a transitional or specialist site, then the following may apply: Daily Travel Assistance will be available for this role, provided the successful applicant is a current RCDTS employee and meets the eligibility requirements outlined in the department’s Daily Travel Assistance guidance.
A reserve list may be created if suitable candidates are identified and will last for a period of 12 months