My client is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through their work, they make a positive difference in the world. My client has recently been named the UK’s Most Admired Company.
My client’s award-winning Business and Investor Advisory (BIA) team is one of the largest adviser by deal value in the infrastructure and energy markets. The team continues to grow, and I am looking for a Senior Energy Market Economist with a broad skillset and an ambition to accelerate their career whilst supporting the growth of the business. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading the engagement on high quality strategy, commercial, and policy advice to clients across a wide range of projects. Candidates should have commercial and strategy experience, preferably within energy.
I am looking for a well-rounded, motivated and enthusiastic Senior Energy Market Economist with strong academic, professional and personal skills. The role is well suited for a technically strong, highly motivated self-starter, comfortable working individually and leading others whilst playing a key role in mixed, cross discipline teams and be passionate about their own personal and professional development.
Typical projects undertaken within the Business Investor Advisory group include providing commercial, market, economic, regulatory, technical and financial advice to financial investors, energy companies, governments, developers and international finance institutions in the infrastructure space.
Projects may range from research studies, market assessment, asset evaluation, policy advice, business case development, analysis of support mechanisms to facilitate security of supply and low carbon solutions, development of energy business plans, economic appraisal, energy market and tariff modelling and policy design. Project work will require a range of quantitative skills from handling and presenting data to financial/economic modelling, specifically power and gas market modelling, and modelling of alternative fuels and carbon markets
The successful candidate will be responsible for leading energy market analytics, including market modelling for both gas and electricity markets, and providing high-quality, evidence-based advice to clients across the energy sector, including on energy transition. The candidate should be capable of promoting the practice and build own professional network of contacts.
The role responsibilities include:
· Leading commercial and economic analysis across a range of energy projects;
· Developing analytical capabilities, including energy (gas and electricity) market modelling, and modelling and assessment of market dynamics for alternative fuels and carbon;
· Contributing to the development of business plans;
· Promoting my client’s Business and Investor Advisory capabilities both internally and externally and supporting business development;
· Providing policy advice;
· Developing and maintaining client relationships; and supporting business development, project proposals and project delivery;
· Overseeing project delivery for public and private sector clients;
· Running energy dispatch models;
· Contributing to the maintenance and further development of my client’s energy market modelling tools;
· Authoring high quality reports and verbal presentations.
My client is a multidisciplinary consultancy and whilst you will have specific experience in energy, you will have the freedom to work with experts from a range of disciplines across the business.
Requirements & Skills
Relevant experience is required in the following areas:
· Experience in economic analysis, economic/energy modelling, and providing advice to public or private organisations based on economic research and analysis.
· Extensive knowledge and experience of power and gas markets, alternative fuel markets, carbon markets, different energy models and understanding of policy design and energy market structure knowledge although the candidate will need to have the ability to apply economic concepts across a variety of fields.
· Experience in developing or running energy market models (within consultancy, government organisations or within energy companies) is highly desirable.
· Strong microeconomic foundations and a good understanding of good practice in their particular field of economics.
Ideally You Will Have The Following
A STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics), Economics or Finance degree, and ideally a postgraduate qualification
· Knowledge and experience in energy markets and policy design.
· A strong interest and proven capability in business development and client engagement.
· Ability to work to short lead in times and strict project deadlines.
· Prior experience with statistical and energy modelling preferred (for example potential modelling experience in MATLAB, Python and R or a recognised statistical software such as Eviews, Stata).
· Experience in modelling in PLEXOS® Simulation Software or AURORA Electric Modelling Forecasting and Analysis Software is viewed as necessary.
Rewards & Benefits
My client offers a highly competitive salary along with a range of exciting benefits. This is an exceptional opportunity to join an ambitious business with significant growth plans ahead. My client offers a lot of training as well as great scope for progression and reward. You will have significant input in to the growth and development of the business.
Even if you are cautiously looking, I would recommend a discreet conversation to find out more about the firm and the role.
If you are interested in finding out more about this position or similar roles and would like a discreet non-committal chat, please contact Jeremy Money (email@example.com). However, if you have not received a response within with-in one working week, please assume your application has been unsuccessful this time round. We will confidentially retain your details and inform you of any other suitable opportunities arising should you not be successful in this role.
This is one of a number of exciting positions currently available via JSM Associates. JSM offers an extensive range of jobs in the areas of Planning, CSR & Sustainability, Environmental Management, Remediation & Contaminated Land, EIA and Ecology, Geotechnics, Environmental Planning, Air Quality, Noise and Vibration Landscape.
Phone - 01934 312 155
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Website - www.jsm-associates.co.uk
Twitter - @JSMAssociates