Using your strong technical and business partnering skill sets this role is integral to the finance business to provide advice, challenge and scrutiny to senior colleagues. You will ensure that budgets are well constructed, managed and monitored and support senior managers in the production of business cases and plans to deliver improved performance, reduced risk and better value for money.
The aim of this organisation is to support the Prime Minister in delivering key objectives and milestones which help to form the wider government and currently employs 6000+ people.
The Finance department is responsible for all aspects of the organisation's finances, including business and financial planning, performance reporting, in-year financial management, financial accounting,management of Parliamentary Supply, and production of the organisation's annual accounts. The Finance department is within Assurance, Finance and Controls Group, a multidisciplinary team that brings together finance, commercial and other corporate functions under the leadership of the Chief Financial Officer.
Within Finance, the Business Partner teams leads engagement with business units across the department. We need to be resourceful, exercise good judgement and have quick reflexes to make sure that senior leaders have the right financial advice at the right time to deliver important and urgent parts of the Government's agenda. The variety and breadth of the issues we deal makes these fascinating and fast-paced roles.
We are looking for individuals who are enthusiastic, self-starters who will thrive in a fast-paced anddynamic work environment.
The role will provide lots of opportunity for both personal and professional development in an innovativeorganisation at the heart of Government.
This role is central to the relationship between an individual business area and the finance function. You will use your strong technical and influencing skills and sound understanding of the business unit to provide advice, challenge and scrutiny to senior colleagues. You will ensure that budgets are well constructed, managed and monitored and support senior managers in the production of business cases and plans to deliver improved performance, reduced risk and better value for money.
Your technical knowledge and ability to work constructively with senior teams will make you a valued contributor the decision-making process and a champion for change within your business, its external relationships and in wider government projects. This post holder will need to establish and develop effective working relationships with a number of stakeholders, including the Directors, Deputy Directors,Internal and External Audit.
The role cover the following responsibilities:
* Developing a deep knowledge of diverse business areas, their needs and priorities, looking at the bigger picture to make sure that the business understands the financial implications of decisions and available choices.
* Acting as key liaison point between Finance and the business, building in depth understanding of different business areas and performance priorities.
* Providing analysis to support decision making and using bench marking to highlight opportunities and add value.
* Identifying sustainable cost savings targets and initiatives as part of the business planning cycle.
* Supporting the financial analysis of business areas to prepare for Spending Reviews, risk management and business planning processes.
* Leading on financial reporting, including analysing financial information and preparing summary reporting, ensuring that the leaders of the organisation are able to make decisions based on accurate financial information.
* Supporting on the construction of business cases through financial challenge and the identification of commercial implications of options considered.
* Assessing accounting implications and providing accounting advice in accordance with international financial reporting standards and central government accounting rules.
Building financial and commercial awareness of non-finance staff within the business.
A high level of competence in budget management, planning, forecasting and risk identification combined with excellent problem solving skills.
* Well-developed communication, presentation and relationship management skills including an ability to engage effectively with multidisciplinary teams.
* Credibility with senior colleagues and stakeholders and the ability to influence decision-making.
* Excellent technical accounting skills across a wide range of financial disciplines and a proven ability to apply them effectively.
* Strong Excel and data analysis skills combined with a clear understanding of how this should be applied for the benefit of the organisation.
* Knowledge of government finance and fiscal events such as spending reviews.
* CCAB, or equivalent, qualified (or with considerable financial/ commercial experience and/or the ability to gain formal CCAB qualifications within a reasonable time.)
Seeing the Big Picture
Managing a Quality Service
Changing and Improving
Communicating and Influencing
Learning and development tailored to your role.
* An environment with flexible working options.
* A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity.
* A Civil Service pension.
* A minimum of 25 days of paid annual leave, increasing by one day per year up to a maximum of 30.