Responsible for the development, validation, verification, quality assurance and other scientific support for both UKBC Core and Covid labs. Managing the process for validation of all reagents, consumables, instruments and processes used across all Labs within UKBC. Working with the Operations Managers of Core and Covid Laboratories, Heads of Biomedical Scientists and Technical Services ensure the efficient operation and development of their outputs.
Oversight of the development and maintenance of all ISO standards in conjunction with the quality management team. The Head of SSD will also work with the business development team in whatever capacity needed to win and develop new business for UK Biocentre. The postholder will assess and horizon-scan new technologies in the marketplace to make suitable recommendations to the Executive Management Team for the investment in new capabilitiesKey accountabilities
Skills & experience
- Leading a team of experience scientists and technicians to deliver validation & verification, troubleshooting, writing scientific reports and scientific support to other parts of the organisation.
- Liaising with the informatics team to develop data monitoring and statistical models for trend analysis, data monitoring of current process.
- Managing SSD and personal workloads and/ outputs across multiple projects with competing priorities and resources. Develop, implement, and monitor new process and assays that are in line with company’s business activities. Including working with Informatics, Quality, Technical Services, Biomedical Scientists and Lab Operations to develop end to end process and deploy it to live operations, ensuring that all training materials, methods and validations are in place. Page 2 of 3 HR02_K 10/05/2019 v1.1 Building a team of scientist to align with the validation & verification, quality assurance, troubleshooting, new development and growth of the company.
- Develop and perform pilot studies as required by collaborators. Liaising with the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Operating Officer and Laboratory Director to establish and agree on scientific development – specifically through assessing opportunities from, and the impact of, new scientific developments in areas important to the company’s business activities.
- Lead and manage the company’s scientific research and development work and to propose direction, as appropriate, focusing on continuing improvement to the current processes and propose new scientific opportunities.
- Responsible for ensuring all lab process and associated documentation are fit for purpose from a scientific perspective.
- Working in conjunction with the Quality Department to establish and maintain a quality-focused culture within the laboratories.
- A PhD in Biomedical Science, Molecular Biology, Virology, Bioinformatics or relevant area
- Considerable (>5 years) experience of high throughput Molecular Biology automation.
- Considerable (>5 years) experience in designing, optimising and troubleshooting DNA/RNA extraction & Quantification, PCR, qPCR and other molecular biology process.
- Extensive experience in leadership and people management roles. Page 3 of 3 HR02_K 10/05/2019 v1.1
- A highly collaborative individual who can coach peers and communicate effectively across departments
- A team player who can demonstrate leadership qualities whilst being able to manage and motivate individuals and team development, with the aim of increasing project ownership, autonomy and confidence
- Proven track record of troubleshooting, problem solving and implementing changes
- Extensive experience in working with LIMS platforms
- Proven knowledge and experience in working to ISO quality standards to support the quality and integrity of scientific service quality whilst being fully compliant with Client and scientific processes.
- Must communicate effectively to stakeholders at all levels inside and outside the organisation Demonstrate the ability to influence senior managers and decision makers within multiple stakeholders (internal and external) to provide the opportunities for growth.
- A motivated self-starter with a can-do attitude who takes a pro-active approach to all aspects of their work including implementation of new technologies and methodologies, development of quality or productivity improvement programmes.
- Providing expert advice on best practice to wider parts of the business.
- Responsible for developing a working knowledge and understanding of the sciences as they relate to the services offered, and passing on that knowledge to other interested individuals.
- Previous experience of working in line with and writing Lab documents based on ISO:15189 standards.
- Previous experience in Bioinformatics/Bio statistics and developing Statistical models for trend analysis
- Proven knowledge and experience with HTA, preferably as a Designated Individual.
- Previous experience of working in a commercial environment
- Experience in producing business proposals, process workflows and budget documentation for new scientific projects.
- Experience of procurement and budget management.