Principal EC&I Engineer, Contract, Stoke Gifford
Responsible for ensuring the delivery of the electrical engineering aspects of the Water Retaining Boundary, Buildings and Cradle packages. Ensure systems are designed against a clear statement of compliance with defined requirements, including demonstration that the design meets relevant HSE requirements. Supports delivery of electrical engineering work packages to the required scope, quality, schedule and cost.
- The Principal Engineer - Electrical is accountable to the 10 Dock Design Manager (Civil Structures - WRB, Buildings, Cradle) for the technical delivery (quality) of assigned packages and reports through the relevant Package Design Lead Engineer. The Principal Engineer - Electrical is accountable to the 10 Dock Project Manager for output to scope, schedule and cost
- Management of the Electrical engineering elements of the Water Retaining Boundary, Buildings and Cradle, ensuring designer technical performance and making appropriate technical responses. Provide Subject Matter Expert advice for electrical engineering.
- Provide Technical design guidance and review of electrical design packages
- Provide Technical design guidance and review integration of electrical with other design packages.
- Ensure that the design documentation covers the scope of operations required by the Project Manager and is produced to agreed standards, schedule and budget.
- Plan for effective project implementation, identifying key factors and leading the project's technical planning process.
- Ensuring effective Quality Management Arrangements, operate and deliver through compliance with Babcock's Business Management System and Technical Manual.
- Ensure that the processes and activities being managed are appropriately documented with appropriate records maintained and configuration and quality controls applied.
- Ensure that staff and contractors are familiar with the hazards and risks associated with the work undertaken by the delegated engineering team through effective management and communication of the Risk Assessment.
Experience in all relevant design codes.
- For the principal tasks and responsibilities identified in Section 4 to be carried out and discharged effectively, there are a number of limited responsibilities of other groups or persons that must also be discharged. Principal amongst these are:
- Other Principal Engineers (within 10 Dock team) - to ensure that system delivery of the electrical engineering packages interface with the other discipline packages to resolve conflicts / clashes
- Operations & Integration Lead - communication of operational capabilities for systems to ensure that the overall operational concept meets the high level capability requirements of the Facility
- Safety Engineers - to communicate design specification enabling justification and fulfilment of any associated Safety Functional Requirements (SFRs)
- Project / Package Manager - to communicate on project deliverables to scope, schedule and cost. Raise any technical issues that may have an effect on overall project delivery
- User Acceptance Group (UAG) - demonstration that the designed systems will meet the functional User Requirements
- Design Authority (DA) - to advise on technical governance aspects of deliverables to ensure that quality is of required standard.
- Engineering Services Technical Authority (ES TA) - to attain information on current systems, learning from experience, dockyard best practice etc.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements
A Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering
Chartered Engineer, registered with Engineering Council.
Nuclear: Nuclear Introductory Course or equivalent nuclear knowledge.
Local: * Design of high and low voltage electrical distribution systems
* Design of control & instrumentation systems
* Design of Communications and data systems
* Design of electrical building services
* Design of fire detection systems
* Design of public address systems
* Design of lighting systems
* Design of lightning protection systems
* Design of CCTV/Security systems
* Management of sub-contractors.
* The post holder must be able to demonstrate relevant knowledge and skills required in the technical management of complex design development throughout the design lifecycle
* Provide expert advice to the sub-contracted design houses to enable them to develop the design
* Sound understanding of engineering design and safety practice as relevant to discipline, post and project requirements
* Sound project specification, planning, project management and budgeting experience
* Sound understanding of Company and departmental procedures relating to Design, Health & Safety and Quality requirements, and ability to manage projects in accordance with these procedures.
* Working knowledge of relevant engineering office computer applications
* Experience of the design support to construction, operation, refit/repair of conventional and nuclear submarines and/or facilities