An amazing opportunity has arisen to join an organisation that is shaping the infrastructure within the UK economy.
Summary of Role
To manage, implement and continuously develop the strategic delivery of Health, Safety and Environmental provision for the company as part of the Facilities Management function ensuring Statutory Compliance is maintained at all times.
You will be responsible for driving and delivering high standards of health, safety and environmental performance and statutory compliance within a business of more than 350 people as well as ensuring the safety of our guests whenever on our premises.
You will ensure that all employees and contractors operate safely with robust risk assessments and safe systems of work in place. You will conduct periodic audits, collate safety data and lead on the investigation of any accidents or incidents.
You will put in place in conjunction with Learning & Development Team a programme of HSE learning for all facilities colleagues. Imparting knowledge to the facilities team at every opportunity (depth of education dependent on job role levels)
You will engage and communicate with colleagues across the business to best support health safety and environmental performance.
Health, Safety and Environmental Management
- Provide regular data and reports to the Head of Facilities and relevant company committees confirming status of Health, Safety and Environment including KPI’s (Key Performance Indicator)
- Work with the Facilities Manager to confirm evidence of safe working practices the FM team and its supply chain, particularly those working on our premises developing the knowledge levels of the FM team around health and safety.
- Ensure all internal and external audits are fully supported with resulting actions remedied to set timelines.
- Maintain and develop all health, safety and environmental policy and procedure documents ensuring regular review and approval at the appropriate level of the business
- Manage the collection of and access to, all health, safety and environmental supporting evidence and documentation for the business
- Undertake HSE incident investigations recording all outcomes and recommendations before progressing implementation working with the Facilities Manager for premises related incidents.
- Ensure all Health & Safety related training is scheduled, organized and attended to ensure safe working practices and regulatory safety requirements are met.
- Provide advice to the Facilities Management team managing 3rd party suppliers for everything from Risk Assessment Method Statement to premises based construction projects
- Support the Head of Facilities in developing the Health, Safety and Environmental capability and delivery for the company contributing to HSE strategy
- Organise a regular forum reviewing HSE for the business with representatives from a wide range of teams, recording actions, critical points and decisions (chairing in the absence of the Head of Facilities)
- Where required, support the teams delivering wellbeing support to the business undertaking training to be a Mental Health First Aider and able to support others carrying out this role with guidance from a Health perspective
- Provide Health & Safety induction duties as required and explore opportunities to best support those colleagues temporarily working remotely with induction requirements.
- Supply advice and support in any application of ISO standards to the company built environment and associated audit regime.
- Assisting in Emergency Response activities as and when required (occasionally out of core working hours)
- Ad hoc duties to support the Head of Facilities and in their absence
- Ensures that data protection policies and procedures are followed and any HSE supplier meets our requirements
- Comply with company Data Protection policy, processes and all relevant legislation. This includes maintaining team specific retention schedules, records of data processing and ensuring that any data protection risks are identified, communicated and mitigating actions put in place escalating incidents appropriately.
Knowledge and Experience
- Relevant level of IT skills to perform their role (SharePoint, Core MS Applications).
- Significant built environment health and safety and management experience
- Proven track record in implementing H&S Policy and Process improvement, site audits, H&S Strategy
- Thorough working knowledge and a proven track record of H&S legislation and best practice
- A thorough understanding of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and subsequent regulations, and the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. Experience in defining strategy and policy in relation to works relating to compliance, and managing its delivery
- Experience in producing and or assessing necessary documentation to satisfy legal requirements and enable managerial decisions based on the information.
- Understanding of CDM Regulations
Qualifications and Training
- Recent first aid provision certification
- Experience of fire safety and evacuation systems
- Relevant qualifications in health and safety such as NVQ, BSC or NEBOSH national diploma
- Environmental qualification such as NVQ, BSC or NEBOSH national diploma (desirable)
- Professional membership such as IEMA and IOSH
- Be working towards Chartered status such CMIOSH or IMEA Practitioner (desirable)