Are you passionate about your specialist subject of science? If you have any work experience in an educational environment or working with children, then consider an application for the role of science technician with Randstad Education!
We currently require a science technician for a temporary role in a secondary school in Warrington Local Authority. This is a term-time only full-time role, working approximately 35 hours per week, starting as soon as possible. The role is temporary ongoing and could turn permanent as the role is covering a current vacancy.
This is an amazing opportunity to work as part of a dedicated school team, reporting to the Business Manager and Headteacher. Our staff have a well-deserved reputation as being the best in Merseyside and as a reward for your hard work and commitment to Randstad you will also benefit from:
- a team of dedicated, professional and friendly specialist School Support Services consultants and a branch with 24 hour on-call facility
- competitive rates of pay paid weekly, which are fully compliant under the Agency Workers Regulations (AWR, 2011)
- commitment to your continuing professional development through free training including Covid Awareness
- 'recommend a friend' bonus worth up to £300
- access to Randstad's benefits package including discounts on holidays and high street stores
- the flexibility to work when and where you want through our network of branches
This is a great opportunity to work as part of a committed team of technicians, providing a practical service to the staff and pupils of the school. Responsibilities would include:
- Ensuring all materials and equipment are ready for practical lessons and demonstrations in GCSE and A Level Science classes, across all three disciplines Biology, Chemistry and Physics, liaising with teaching staff for lesson planning
- Cleaning, storing and accounting for all equipment and stock including chemicals
- Undertaking of safety checks and routine maintenance of laboratory equipment
- Ensuring any chemical and biological waste is disposed of correctly
- Maintaining filing systems and correct paperwork for stock orders and keeping the department tidy
- Keeping relevant health and safety knowledge up-to-date eg COSHH requirements
- Assisting teaching staff in the running of practical sessions for pupils, and undertaking other duties as directed
As the successful candidate you will have:
- A strong knowledge of science and a genuine interest in the subject; a degree qualification in any area of science or experience from a laboratory would be desirable
- Previous experience of working in a school laboratory, or work experience with children in another capacity (paid or voluntary), would be advantageous for referencing purposes
- A patient approach towards working with children and adults alike
- Effective communication skills, both orally and in writing
- A strong work ethic, the ability to work as part of a team of technicians, and a professional attitude
Randstad Education is the UK Market Leader for recruitment within education. We have been helping teachers and support staff to find temporary and permanent roles in schools, colleges and nurseries for nearly twenty years. Working with over 2500 schools each week, our staff support over 135,000 children every day across the country, so we can find the right match for your skills. The Liverpool branch is one of the oldest and busiest in the country and has a dedicated team of consultants working across primary, secondary and SEN, and we now also have a dedicated section looking after School Support roles such as Technicians, Administration and Finance.
We are proud to support a diverse portfolio of schools across Merseyside, so even if this job or location is not suitable, we would still like to hear from you regarding your relevant experience, as we may have other roles available in schools, temporary or permanent, short-or long-term, full or part-time, which may be a better match. If your application is deemed to be suitable, a telephone interview would be offered immediately, documents would be checked online, and you could then be referred to the school for a direct interview process. Randstad Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and require all applicants to share this commitment. All applicants will be subject to an enhanced DBS check and UK eligibility checks, along with a full referencing process.
To discuss this in more detail, please contact Heidi McGreary, your 'School Support Services' specialist, via email on or by phone on . We look forward to hearing from you!