Role Building Services Engineer
Connect2Luton are excited to recruit Building Services Engineer on behalf of Luton Borough Council in their Inclusive Economy Service department!
As a Building Services Engineer you will be responsible to carry out, under the leadership of the Building Services Engineering Manager and in conjunction with other team construction professionals, all aspects of building services design (electrical and/or mechanical) for building project commissions assigned to and managed by the Project Design and Delivery Team, within the Property and Construction Division.
About the Role :
- Provide professional mechanical and/or electrical design services to new build and refurbishment projects ranging from small extensions to complete building developments within the Borough and ensure that legislative, technical design, commissioning, financial and programme criteria are met and implemented. To ensure that quality, performance and best practice requirements are achieved, and where necessary recommend course of action leading to improvements. This shall be undertaken in a manner to achieve the annual PDD Team targets
- Interpret and develop client briefs in conjunction with the PDD Team lead consultants/designers, prepare accurate mechanical and/or electrical services budgets, carry out design and prepare technical drawings and specifications. Invite and evaluate competitive tenders, inspect and commission mechanical installations on site. Evaluate and agree tenders, financial accounts; prepare and maintain technical and quality standards and undertake the final certification requirements.
- Provide leadership for team members, mentoring and coaching as required while leading projects from the M&E point of view. Provide professional advice and guidance, both verbal and written, to team members, clients, stakeholders and end users. Monitor standards of work carried out to ensure compliance with all necessary policies, procedures and regulations.
- Prepare, monitor and report on mechanical and/or electrical design programmes and construction production information in conjunction with other team members and external consultants in order to achieve agreed deliverables and programme outcomes
- Carry out site surveys as required and prepare written technical reports on the condition, capacity and suitability for life cycle cost evaluation and project planning purposes
- Contribute to the development of the Project Design and Delivery Team, including recommending improvements in energy efficiency and sustainability of Building services installations and the standardisation of working practices. Developing and implementing BIM processes, actively promoting constructive problem solving, business planning.
About you :
- Experience of undertaking and managing work in building Services Engineering
- Ability to use Microsoft Office Software i.e. Word, Excel and electronic mail.
- Able to prioritise, plan and organise own workload to meet conflicting demands, fee targets and deadlines
- In depth knowledge of current, relevant legislation, methods of calculation and statutory requirements, including CDM regulations, asbestos regulations and to comply with these
- Degree in Building Services or Mechanical or Electrical engineering or equivalent qualification or equivalent verifiable work based experience and training
- Able to carry out mechanical and or electrical design & calculations to support and secure Building Control applications and approval under Part L1 & L2. The proven ability to effectively use current mechanical / electrical computer software, such as; Cymap, Hevacomp and
Desirable skills :
- Ability to use HEVA Comp, Amtech software for Mechanical and electrical calculations and design verification purposes.
- A relevant professional qualification and membership at chartered level in an appropriate institute e.g. CIBSE or IET.
Luton Borough Council have partnered with Kent County Council to create Connect2Luton, a recruitment managed service for all contingent temporary agency, contract and interim roles at the Council.
Our heritage and being local government owned means we have a wealth of knowledge and expertise within the public sector, with many of our employees having previously worked for the Council or have supplied previously into the Council, for several years.
We are an equal opportunities employment agency and business that positively encourages applications from all suitably qualified and eligible candidates.
Connect2Staff/Connect2Kent, part of Commercial Services Trading/Kent Ltd, is an equal opportunities Employment Agency & Business and positively encourages applications from all suitably qualified and eligible candidates.