Here at National Highways, we currently have an opportunity for a Geotechnical Engineer to join our team in Bedford or Cambridge (Waterbeach). Within this role you will be supporting the Geotechnical Asset Lead in the management and maintenance of the geotechnical asset, the identification and development of geotechnical renewal proposals and delivery of the inspection programme.
You will be required to drive as part of your role and you will need to have a full clean driving license to be considered for this position and during employment.
What you’ll be leading on
- To ensure the health and safety needs and wellbeing of customers and employees are fully considered and accounted for throughout the planning and delivery of each service activity.
- Support the Geotechnical Asset Lead to coordinate the activities and resources involved in the identification and evaluation of geotechnical asset data and to develop early solutions, in line with agreed methodologies and prioritisation criteria.
- Support development of a reliable geotechnical forward programme that supports the successful delivery of National Highways Delivery Plan, taking into account new techniques, materials, including compiling and checking of relevant documents, evidence and options for value management, buildability, and costs.
- Support the Geotechnical Asset Lead for the East Region in the delivery of effective geotechnical asset management including asset management plans.
- Be responsible for successful delivery of the Geotechnical Inspection Programme, in terms of planning principal inspections, annual monitoring and other ad hoc inspections.
- Ensure the geotechnical database is updated and that geotechnical inspection backlog is minimised
- Identify, prepare briefs and support delivery of geotechnical investigations that support the renewal of assets.
- Support developing the technical briefs provided to the design and construction contractors for improvement and renewals work.
To be Successful
- Degree or HND in relevant geotechnical discipline and appropriate experience
- Experience in geotechnical database management
- Experience of geotechnical engineering, earthworks remediation solutions and techniques
- Experience of geotechnical inspections and planning and reporting.
- Good understanding of geotechnical related highway engineering standards.
- Good knowledge of CDM 2015
- Good team working and stakeholder management skills
A bit about us
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it - then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible