We currently have an exciting opportunity for an Engineering Team Manager to lead our Geotechnical team in the East region based out of our Bedford or Cambridge (Waterbeach) offices. Leading a team of 5 you will be a managing the staff overseeing the geotechnical and drainage portfolios. You will use your expert knowledge in geotechnical engineering to develop and implement our asset management strategy for the inspection, maintenance and renewal of geotechnical assets.
As a proven people manager, you will lead and inspire a team of engineers to robustly manage geotechnical asset risk through the capture and analysis of condition data and other intelligence, the identification and prioritisation of geotechnical need and the early solution development of geotechnical schemes in our five to ten year forward programme. You will also provide advice and technical support for geotechnical aspects related to the management of other asset classes, particularly structures.
You will act as the region’s focal point for the management of geotechnical assets, working collaboratively with both internal and external stakeholders and partners. This will include working with other local and regional teams within National Highways, our supply chain, local authorities and customers.
You will be required to drive as part of your role and you will need to have a full clean driving license to be considered for this position and during employment.
What you will be leading on:
- Ensuring the health and safety needs and wellbeing of customers and employees are fully considered and accounted for throughout the planning and delivery of each service activity.
- Providing leadership, direction and line management for a team of geotechnical engineers, ensuring timely setting of objectives, performance management reviews and development of appropriate succession plans.
- Acting as the Region’s focal point for the management of geotechnical assets; to lead and coordinate the identification and evaluation of geotechnical need in the region.
- Act in role of Geotechnical Maintenance Liaison Engineer for the East Region and undertake Certification of Reports
- Lead development of a reliable geotechnical forward programme that supports the successful delivery of National Highway’s Delivery Plan, including the compiling of relevant documents, evidence and options for value management, taking into account standards, policies, strategies, industry innovations, delivery feasibility and costs materials.
- Develop and strengthen the case for future investment in the regions geotechnical assets, specifically for Road Investment Strategy RIS3,
- Be responsible for the Geotechnical Inspection Programme, in terms of planning principal inspections, annual monitoring and other ad hoc inspections.
- Be responsible for ensuring the geotechnical database is updated and that Inspections are authorised.
- Undertake services within an engineering environment which include scheme investigation, site inspections, data collection and analysis, feasibility studies, design review and preparation of technical documents in accordance with approved design procedures.
- Support internal and external design teams on technical matters, with solutions and advice.
- Developing the technical briefs provided to the design organisation and managing the delivery of survey works for the improvement and renewal of assets.
To be successful
- You will be a Chartered Member of the ICE, IoM3 or GSL, or equivalent, or have a relevant Masters degree and will have considerable relevant post-chartership experience in ground engineering and infrastructure works
· Experience and knowledge of the role of a Geotechnical Liaison Engineer (GMLE)
- You will have extensive experience of managing a technical team
- You will have extensive experience of geotechnical engineering, earthworks remediation solutions and techniques, asset management planning, inspections and reporting
- You will have extensive experience in collaborating with internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- You will have demonstrable experience of geotechnical asset management decision making (capital investment, lifecycle costs, value optimisation, service & availability optimisation, social & economic knowledge).
- Relevant experience in construction and delivery methods and knowledge of CDM 2015
- Excellent team working and stakeholder management skills.
A bit about us
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it - then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.