Principal Dev Ops Engineer
Job Description Who We're Looking For We are proud of the infrastructure and pipeline we use and are looking for an enthusiastic Principal DevOps Engineer to join our team. You will be serving our Agile Release Train and helping push the boundaries of the pipeline even further, so that they can deploy value to our customers quicker.
Benchmark Capital powers financial advisers through insight and integrated tools, services and investment solutions that help them differentiate their client proposition. Helping advisers to look after their clients is at the centre of everything we do. Our award-winning solutions support over 150 advice firms, with £17.1 billion of assets under advice1 With a technology-led ecosystem of regulatory, platform, and investment services, and our own financial planning business, our approach is guided by delivering safety and security for customers and focused on positive client outcomes. We believe that first-class client service and integrated technology are essential components for long-term success. Our seamless, holistic approach works in harmony both to empower advisers and their clients and to generate tangible financial and competitive advantages. We work with some of the most successful financial planning firms in the UK, bringing the power of technology to advice and wealth management 1As at 31.03.21
The base You'll be based at our Broadlands Business Campus near Horsham in West Sussex. It has high standards and international reputation, without being in the city: a big, countryside campus means life will feel a little different. We know that helping you balance personal and professional commitments is a big part of that, so we're open to flexible working. Many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need.
What You'll Do
- Lead projects at the strategic level the implementation of Developer Automation Tools and operations to achieve high quality build and deployment pipelines that use best industry standard methods.
- Researching and making changes to the existing infrastructure that improves efficiency
- Designing Azure resources based of business requirements that are consistent with the company standards
- Answering any questions regarding Azure, becoming the Azure SME for the company.
- Keeping up to date on all Azure updates and how they affect existing resources.
- Create and query network logging for firewall, IIS and WAF logs to provide business value and aid troubleshooting.
- Create more efficient ways of managing network applications and removing manual tasks, such as utilising APIs.
- Provide escalation point for complex networking queries
- Understand how to implement container level networking
- Understand network abstractions such as service discovery and where they can be used to remove complexity in the config files
- Team City / Build scripts:
- Create designs for new build scripts
- Working with the business or principal developers on new POCs as and when required.
- Provide a point of escalation for complex build issues
- Design new root projects and templates
- Integrate the security tools into the build pipeline designs as required by the security architect.
- Understand the builds and use metrics to determine where efficiencies can be made.
- Work with the development managers and architects to design around new branching strategies when required.
- Octopus Deploy:
- Having an advanced understanding of the Octopus infrastructure and deployment pipelines.
- Design or redesign the structure of variables and variable sets across Octopus to support business requirements
- Writing scripts that interact with the Octopus API that are documented and usable by other members of the team
- Identifying the requirement for new custom steps and create designs that other team members can follow to create the steps.
- Designing new structures of configurable items, i.e. environments, roles, tenants in Octopus and how they integrate with each other
- Responding to metrics from deployments by designing new efficiencies into the pipeline
- Understanding and implementing a variety of deployment patterns
- Puppet Enterprise:
- Identify issues from within DevOps and other teams, and where those issues can be solved using Puppet.
- Design the hierarchical structure and custom facts including writing puppet tests
- Write and maintain documentation of the CT puppet infrastructure.
- Create testing framework that other team members can follow when writing puppet tests.
- Must have 3+ years of hands on experience with Azure
- Significant experience with Octopus Deploy is highly desirable
- Significant experience of designing and implementing cloud infrastructure, as required by the company and developers.
- Highly skilled in scripting abilities using PowerShell, Cake or Python
- Excellent understanding of Cloud technologies.
- Excellent understanding of Git.
- Excellent understanding of development patterns.
- Excellent understanding of deployment patterns.
- High experience using deployment software i.e. Octopus Deploy.
- High experience using configuration management i.e. Puppet.
- High experience with build pipelines.
- Good understanding of software development.
- Excellent interpersonal, time management and communication skills- both written and oral.
- Can present ideas and concepts in user-friendly language.
- Flexible and willing to work outside core business hours as required.
You're welcome here whatever your socio-economic background, race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious belief, age or disability. Important Information: Issued by Benchmark Capital Limited, Broadlands Business Campus, Langhurstwood Road, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12 4QP. Registration in England No 09404621.