Assistant Accountant - Wigan - £28,000 per annum, 6 month FTC initially
Your new company
We have an opportunity for an exciting Assistant Accountant role, providing financial insight to key stakeholders for various Transport Contracts on a fixed term contract basis (minimum 6 months).
Our client is a leading third party logistics (3PL) and supply chain solutions provider in the UK and Ireland. With over 17,000 colleagues across more than 200 sites and a 3,400 strong fleet of vehicles, they put their customers at the heart of everything they do and their mission is "to make our customers business's better, every day."
Your new role
- Reporting to the Finance Manager.
- Direct responsibility for one or more major contract/s but with involvement across all team activities
- Play a key role in the completion of weekly financial and statistics packs.
- Generate transaction reports on a weekly basis from the Transport Management System (Freighter) to complement the weekly accounts process.
- Assist with the period end reconciliation process.
- Feedback weekly P&L results to Operational teams and challenge the results when applicable.
- Work with the Operational teams to drive P&L improvements through insights.
- Analysis of operational as well as financial data in order to explain trends and justify expenditure levels
- Provide further analysis to support the weekly P&L result when required.
- Ensure customer invoices are raised on a timely basis and develop controls to ensure invoicing accuracy.
- Actively support the Credit Control teams to ensure invoices are settled in accordance with agreed payment terms.
- Complete and interpret periodic Balance Sheet reconciliations.
- Assist with and manage the production of budgets/forecasts
- Producing ad-hoc reports, costings and expenditure trend analysis as required.
- Provide support to the wider Finance team, particularly around sickness and holidays.
What you'll need to succeed
- Previous Accounting experience.
- Previous Logistics/supply chain experience would be desirable but not a necessity
- Sound Ledger knowledge.
- PC skills with knowledge of accounting standards.
- Excellent communication skills and confident in dealing with problems and challenges.
- Ability to work as part of a team with a positive attitude.
- Enthusiastic, flexible, reliable & highly organised.
- Accustomed to work under pressure and respond to short term requests.
- Excellent PC skills including Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work on own initiative and work within tight deadlines.
What you'll get in return
Flexible working options available. Initially on a 6 month FTC. Free parking, competitive salary (£28,000 per annum)
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.