At HMRC we are committed to creating a great place to work for all our colleagues; an inclusive and respectful environment that reflects the diversity of the society we serve.
We want to maximise the potential of everyone who chooses to work for us and we offer a range of flexible working patterns and support to make a fulfilling career at HMRC accessible to you.
Diverse perspectives and experiences are critical to our success and we welcome applications from all people from all backgrounds with the experience and skills needed to perform this role.
HMRC is building a modern, digital tax administration and runs the biggest digital operation in Government, providing digital services for 45 million individuals and 4.9 million business customers. Our digital programme is multi-award winning and the envy of other government organisations.
Our role sits within HMRC’s Chief Digital & Information Group (CDIO) we’re increasingly delivering in-house through our growing network of digital delivery centres – hi-tech, state-of-the-art facilities across the UK.
Valuation Office Agency Customer Group (VOA CG) provides digital services and IT support to the Valuation Office Agency (VOA): drawing on HMRC’s digital expertise to ensure our customer (the VOA) gets the right level of service as well as building and supporting specialist, unique services.
There are some important attributes that we are looking for in anyone joining VOA CG. You must have a collaborative approach and a passion to communicate effectively. You will take accountability and ownership and have the ability to coach, mentor, reflect and to give and receive feedback. You will be flexible and adaptable, working with a sense of urgency and be passionate about having ‘The Customer’ at the heart of what you do.
As a Product Manager, you will have the unique opportunity to work within VOA Customer Group (part of HMRC CDIO) on some of the largest digital transformation programmes undertaken in Government and other sectors.
Within our teams, you will be responsible for defining what is valuable to users and for delivering quality user outcomes through your products. You will develop a deep understanding of user needs and business goals and will take insights from multiple, specialist perspectives to frame problems and set priorities for delivery teams, to create and optimise value for users.
You will lead a product through discovery, alpha, beta and live states and you will support Lead and Senior Product Managers. You may line manage Associate Product Managers and other professions within a Service Delivery Team and support their professional development.
• Experience of working agile with an understanding the product lifecycle
• Able to deal with conflict and have experience of being the escalation point for operational issues. You will be able to ensure the right actions are taken to investigate, resolve and anticipant problems. Empowering the team to implement solutions and preventive measures
• Apply tools, terms and concepts in a variety of ways. Be flexible and consider new ways of working and adapt to change
• Facilitate meaning full discussions with stakeholders across all grades to get buy-in to your plans and roadmaps being able to influence both these stakeholders and your team to gain consensus
• Champion the user of the service, understanding the user journey and their needs so that your product succeeds in meeting the users expectants and ensures greater take-up.
• Experience of working within the context of strategic and transformational change
• Experience of working in a product management role, or similar, interacting with design, development and content professionals in the delivery of digital services
• Experience of engaging with users and identifying how their needs can be better met by digital products and services
• Awareness of approaches to digital delivery, such as user needs analysis, prototyping and continuous improvement
• Strong verbal, written and visual communication skills that you are able to tailor to the needs of the audience
• Experience in developing positive relationships, consistently delivering inspiring, engaging and meaningful messages about the projects or services you have worked on
• Proven ability to manage stakeholders, prioritising and handling business issues, expectations and requirements
• Experience of how to drive changes in user behaviours with strong negotiation skills Familiarity with the monitoring and reporting of measurable performance targets
• Experience of engaging at a strategic level and playing a key role in setting organisational objectives.
• Experience of using a variety of product management tools and techniques in an agile environment
• An understanding of new and emerging digital technologies and the opportunities they provide to improve the delivery of public services in the UK
• Experience of working with third party software developers or within the third party software industry
• Leading transformational change, building high employee engagement
• Practical experience interpreting user data and feedback to design and implement channel shift strategies to move users from traditional to digital delivery channels
• Experience of line management in multi-disciplined teams