Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
This is a senior position within the Business and Investor Advisory team based in London. Typical projects undertaken within the group include providing commercial, technical and financial advice to financial investors, funders, developers and international finance institutions and provide economic and commercial strategic advice to energy companies, utilities, regulators and governments.
The primary responsibilities of the post include:
Developing and maintaining client relationships, securing work and overseeing project delivery in the areas of energy markets and policy and strategic commercial analysis.
Leading Arup’s Energy Market Analytics team – focusing on the growth of the analytics team and the development of analytical tools, including our Energy Market models, to support our economics, policy and analytic advisory work.
Experience in the areas of energy markets design and policy is essential. Experience in the areas of broader regulated markets, such as water and telecoms, is desirable.
Duties will include:
• Business development contributing to increasing group turnover and staff.
• Managing and developing client relationships and the delivery of projects
• Leading, reviewing and finalising proposals.
• Managing a team of consultants to deliver sustainable growth.
• Day to day senior management and team engagement.
• Develop Arup ”Thought leadership" position within the energy/infrastructure sector.
• Working in a collegiate and collaborative fashion across Arup.
The role will cover:
• Leading teams researching and analysing markets, companies, technologies for energy & utility infrastructure market design or investment.
• Development of analytical tools, including our Energy Market models, to support our economics, policy and analytic advisory work.
• Leading projects that will deliver:
o Advice on business planning and feasibility studies, financial and cost-benefit appraisals, economics in the energy sector
o Analysis of support mechanisms to facilitate security of supply and low carbon solutions
o Development of energy and utility infrastructure business plans including optimising of expenditure to reflect market or regulatory mechanisms and business strategies
o Assessment of market and/or policy frameworks to provide optimum finance/funding solutions
• Assessment of infrastructure economics and assessment of policy, regulation and structures to facilitate unlocking investment/delivery solutions
• Project management of teams to deliver project outputs
• Contribute to the growth of the Energy Economics team
• Be part of the Business Investor Advisory Leadership team – coordinating our Advisory strategy and the growth our client base
• Devise recruitment and skills development plan for the Energy Markets and Energy Analytics team
Through their professional extensive experience and any relevant academic background (to a graduate or post graduate level), applicants should be able to demonstrate both experience and understanding of:
• Policy development for the energy and utility sector (for example, major infrastructure development, regulation, finance and funding models and mechanisms)
• The private sector investment environment, including IPP/PPA and corporate finance and regulatory issues
• A good network with decision-makers, ideally in both the public and private sectors
Candidates should also be able to demonstrate:
• Line management experience/capability and team development and leadership.
• Ability to work to short lead-in times and strict project deadlines
• Market/forecasting modelling knowledge and experience.
• Demonstrable experience of unlocking opportunities for infrastructure investment.
• A strong interest and proven capability in business development and client engagement.
• Ability to manage multi-disciplinary teams of consultants.
• Excellent communication skills, including an ability to engage actively with other team members and client contacts and to write clearly in English.
Rewards and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical, and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
Different people, shared values.
At Arup, we believe when talented people collaborate, great things are possible. Arup hires people with proven skills and open minds. We are taking deliberate action to create an inclusive culture that is grounded in our purpose to shape a better world.
At Arup, we welcome candidates from all backgrounds, regardless of age, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and any other protected characteristic. Our internal employee networks - BAME, Culture, Disability, LGBTQ+ and Women - provide a space for you to express your views and to make a positive difference -
At Arup, we are committed to making all stages of our recruitment process accessible to candidates with disabilities. Please speak to our recruitment team and we will work with you to make reasonable adjustments to ensure you can perform at your best throughout your application.
At Arup, we appreciate that everyone’s circumstances are different and having the freedom to flex the way we work is essential to our wellbeing. If flexibility matters to you let us know when you apply, and we will discuss how this could work in your role.
What happens next?
If this could be the next step in your journey, please apply online and all applications will be considered.
Stay safe online - Arup will never ask for payment or your bank details as part of our recruitment process