Consultant Economist - Climate Change
Location: London, Harwell ( Oxfordshire), Manchester, Hybrid
Salary Range: 27'000-35'000
Ricardo is creating a world fit for the future
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
Start your career with Ricardo, a consultancy that respects, innovates, has integrity and passion for the environment. We empower, develop, and trust you to deliver your best work. We'll provide a culture that will enable you to evolve, grow and succeed.
Growth and Opportunity
We have an exciting opportunity for an Consultant Economist in Climate change to join our Energy and Carbon regulation team in the Ricardo London Office to support climate change policy business development and delivery within our Policy, Strategy and Economics Practice.Working in international, multi-disciplinary teams, you will help to win, manage and deliver high profile projects that play an integral role in driving regulatory approaches in Europe and worldwide. The role will entail providing support to larger proposals and projects and leadership of smaller ones.
Although, this role will sit within our Evidence and Policy business unit you will work collaboratively across all areas of Ricardo Energy and Environment.
You will especially work in the field of climate change economics and will be actively engaged in issues such as the economics of carbon pricing policy, the social cost of carbon, decarbonisation investment economics and aspects concerning the cost effectiveness of policy approaches to require or encourage carbon emission reductions across all sectors.
You will use your technical skills to provide insights to support policy decisions, and to analyse the impact of decisions on the economy, the environment and society. You will be involved in policy impact assessments, requiring skills in cost-benefit analysis, socio-economic analysis, feasibility assessment and evaluation. We expect you to understand the processes for development of public policy and the methods for assessing the social, environmental and economic impacts of policies and measures.
You should be able to demonstrate the following:
* Qualified to at least Master's degree level in economics
* At least 2 years of relevant experience within consultancy, government, research or industry
* An understanding of climate change issues, and national/EU/international policy, gained during studies or work experience
* Highly numerate, with a track record in carrying out complex quantitative analysis
* Demonstrable experience in some of the following:
* Economic theory and policy cycle (ex ante impact assessment of policies and regulations; policy development and implementation, ex post evaluation of policies and programmes)
* Tools and methods: economic and/or financial modelling, data collection, validation and analysis, qualitative economic analysis, multi-criteria analysis
* An understanding of structural economic modelling, Input - Output analysis, international trade theory, experience with econometric analysis and optimisation techniques, e.g. General Algebraic Modelling such as GAMs. Experience with Python and Stata would be useful.
* Fluency in English and excellent (concise and precise) report writing skills
* Previous experience in leading or working on proposals and projects for international organisations and/or European Commission and/or national governments
* Business development experience: generation of new business leads, identification of new service offerings, building client relationships
* Project management experience
* Fluency in other European languages
What We Offer
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Flexibility, Wellbeing and Work-life Balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality, and Inclusion Statement
Ricardo Energy & Environment is an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here.
We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can.
As part of our commitment to engage positively and proactively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a disability confident employer.
Our Core benefits include 25 day's annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.